NOTE: This blog is closed! Please visit my new blog at http://www.bluezmama.blogspot.com  


Tuesday, January 24, 2006

In Memoriam - The King of Soul, Wilson Pickett

by Neil Kaplan

1/20/06 - I cried in the shower today. Actually, it sort of came over me by surprise. I had heard on the news yesterday that Wilson Pickett had died, and at the time I was very upset, I actually yelled back at the TV . . this couldn't possibly be true. But I listened to the newscaster tell us that yes, in fact he was gone, at the age of 64, of a heart attack.

When it comes to soul music, if James Brown is the "Godfather", for my money Wilson Pickett was the "King". As one of the elite class of early R & B vocalists that included the likes of James Brown, Sam & Dave, and Otis Redding, Wilson helped define the style that so many young musicians tried to emulate.

As one of those young musicians growing up in the 1960s, there were a few performers of the time that I can say today were truly an influence. The Beatles, of course . . . . and Wilson Pickett. He could evoke more emotion out of grunting "Huh!" during an adlib on one of his records than most singers could get out of an entire song. . I listened to his recordings and tried in vain to copy his every word, every nuance of how he sang. Every time I sang "Midnight Hour" or "Land of 1000 Dances" I did my best to pretend I really COULD sound like him . . . I just hope my audiences weren't too put off by my feeble attempts.

Pickett hasn't had a hit record in years, but to imagine a world without him is beyond my comprehension. His popularity lives on, even these days my band performs "Mustang Sally" on nearly every job, and the audiences, young and old alike, still go wild for the song and join in singing on "Ride Sally, Ride." We performed it tonight . . . I dedicated the song to Wilson and asked the crowd to sing the chorus loudly enough so he could hear us up where he is now . . . And as I sang, still trying my best to put over those classic Pickett vocal styles, I was overcome by sadness . . . .

So yes, I cried as I was taking a shower this evening. I cried for the loss of my childhood, of an more innocent era of great music performed by LIVE MUSICIANS, and for the passage of time causing us to lose so many of the icons of that era that made the music what it was. And specifically, I cried for the loss of a man whose music helped define who I am today.

His music, his legacy, his "soul" will live on forever. Rest well, Wilson Pickett. Thanks for the music.

- Neil Kaplan -

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?